Ever since Carrie Bradshaw wore Oscar de la Renta to McDonald’s, the fashion world has swooned for High-Low Moments™. They’re ironic, iconic, and give us all a tiny bit of hope that we can be fabulous, too—even with an Extra Value Meal.
At the Met Gala, Chloë Grace Moretz carried the flash-and-trash torch with a custom Louis Vuitton dress by Nicolas Ghesquière… and makeup by the drugstore heroes at e.l.f. Cosmetics.
Average price? $5.
“I was inspired by the supermodels of the ’90s,” says makeup artist Mai Quynh, who created tonight’s look for the actress. “I wanted the eyes to be the focus of the face by making them dramatic and smoky, while pairing them with a super-bright pink lip.”
Here’s her tutorial:
1. Prep face with e.l.f. Cosmetics Poreless Putty Primer.
3. Once skin is set, use the Bronzer Palette underneath the cheekbones for a more defined look and then place Metallic Flare Highlighter in Rose Gold above. Finish cheeks by adding Blush in the shade Blushing on the apples.
4. Moving on to the eyes, start with Eyeliner & Shadow Stick in Black/Smoke and smudge along upper lash line. Layer shadow on top of it.
5. Layer the shade Vibrant from the 18 Hit Wonders Eyeshadow Palette all over the lid and the shade Element to the outer crease of the eye. Blend the crease and add Stardust Glitter Eyeliner in Sparkling Silver to the inner corners. Next, smudge the black eyeliner and Element shadow along the bottom lash line. Rim the inner eye with No Budge Retractable Eyeliner in White.
7. Lastly, apply Velvet Matte Lipstick in Fuchsia Fantasy to the lips to finish off the look.
Now go forth and eat $1.99 fries… with a $4000 handbag. (Or just some ketchup. Whatever works.)